Full Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Oakland Program Director/ Senior Staff Attorney
The International Institute of the Bay Area was founded in 1918, and its mission is to welcome, educate and serve immigrants, refugees and their families as they join and contribute to the community. IIBA provides immigration legal services, English and civic education, and other services at its eight offices throughout the Bay Area, as well as through its collaborative efforts with local and regional service providers. IIBA offers a team-oriented, collegial and collaborative work environment across its offices.
Support IIBA’s mission by providing quality immigration-specific paralegal services, including documentation preparation and forms completion, under the supervision of attorneys and DOJ Accredited Representatives.
- Case Management: Assists with legal documents, immigration forms completion and document preparation, under the supervision of attorneys and DOJ Accredited Representatives. Maintain paper and electronic case files.
- Translation: Responsible for Spanish/English translations.
- Outreach and Group Processing: Assist in the organization and implementation of workshops, clinics, outreach activities and information sessions for immigrants and social service agencies serving immigrants. Outreach and workshops requires occasional evening and weekend events.
- Maintain Legal Best Practices: Comply with IIBA’s policies, procedures, protocols, and best practices for non-profit immigration law practice, including legal ramifications, fee collection, maintenance of client files and data for reporting requirements. Participate in regular peer review meetings and legal trainings.
- Client Notification: Assisting with ongoing client communications in person, on phone, and by mail.
- Clerical: copying, filing, mailing, fee collection, scheduling appointments.
- All other duties: Perform all other duties as needed and/or as directed by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Legal research and writing skills.
- Dedicated to providing high quality legal assistance and capable of handling complex legal issues on behalf of low-income immigrant populations.
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail for forms completion.
- Good customer service and public speaking skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple deadlines effectively.
- Ability to act independently and exercise sound judgment.
- Commitment to serve immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of the low-income, culturally diverse newcomer community.
- Proficiency in a Windows/PC environment, and able to quickly become proficient in the use of IIBA’s immigration law software and database.
Education: AA, BA/BS, or a Paralegal certificate.
Work Experience: Minimum of 2 years of previous paralegal experience in immigration legal services, as well as U-Visa & VAWA application experience.
Language: Ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish REQUIRED.
Salary/Benefits: Pay is commensurate with experience.
IIBA offers a generous cafeteria-style benefits package, elements of which include, but are not limited to:
- Employer matching 403(B) retirement plan: up to 4% employer contribution
- Insurance: Health, dental, life, vision, chiropractic & acupuncture. Medical and dependent care pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
- Transportation reimbursement account.
- Vacation: two (2) weeks of accrued vacation per year with an increase each year.
- Holidays: 13 Holiday per year
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com
Please include the title of the job in the subject line.
IIBA is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons receiving services in our programs are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for qualified disabilities.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.