Title: Direct Service Worker III (DOJ Fully Accredited Representative)
Reports to: Program Director
Location: Brentwood (and Community Colleges in surrounding areas)
The Immigration Institute of the Bay Area was founded in 1918, and its mission is to welcome, educate and serve immigrants, refugees and their families as they join and contribute to the community. IIBA provides immigration legal services, English and civic education, and other services at its eight offices throughout the Bay Area, as well as through its collaborative efforts with local and regional service providers. IIBA offers a team-oriented, collegial and collaborative work environment across its offices.
The Immigration Institute of the Bay Area (IIBA) is seeking a full time DOJ Accredited Representative for its Brentwood office. This position supports IIBA’s mission by providing quality immigration-specific legal service, advice, and representation in support of low income individuals.
- Case Management: Provide eligibility and risk assessment, full representation, brief service, and/or legal advice to low income clients filing applications, including family-based and humanitarian immigration petitions, waivers, U Visas, DACA, DAPA, naturalization, consular processing and adjustments of status.
- Outreach and Group Processing: Develop community relationships. Responsible for workshops, clinics, outreach activities and information sessions for immigrants, social service agencies serving immigrants, local government and community based organizations. Outreach requires occasional evening and weekend events.
- Maintain Legal Best Practices: Comply with IIBA’s policies, procedures, protocols, and best practices for non-profit immigration law practice, including legal ramifications, fee collection, maintenance of client files and data for reporting requirements. Participate in regular peer review meetings and legal trainings.
- Fee Assessment: Assess fees for services, sign contracts with clients, work with administrative staff to ensure fees are collected and applications are filed in a timely manner.
- Ensure grant compliance: Ensure grant requirements are met. Track case progress and outcomes as required by grant guidelines.
- All other duties: Perform all other duties as needed and/or as directed by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Education & Certification:
DOJ Accredited Representative: Degree from a 4 year institution and/or equivalent experience. Equivalent experience may include advanced experience working in a legal environment.
Full DOJ Accreditation preferred.
DOJ Accredited Representative: Minimum of 5 years of experience in immigration law, including U-Visa, VAWA, family based immigration, naturalization requirements and procedures.
- Experience in removal defense helpful.
- Advanced legal research and writing skills.
- Dedicated to providing high quality legal assistance and capable of handling complex legal issues on behalf of low-income immigrant populations.
- Experience in developing and providing services to the target population preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Outstanding public speaking skills in English and Spanish, with ability and experience to conduct outreach and education events to large groups and be interviewed on television, radio, and taped video
- Very strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Exceptional time management skills – ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to act independently and exercise sound judgment.
- Commitment to serving immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of the low-income, culturally diverse newcomer community.
- Familiarity with the region and knowledge of local resources, public systems, and area philanthropy preferred.
- Proficiency in a Windows/PC environment, and able to quickly become proficient in the use of IIBA’s immigration law software and database.
- Bi- Lingual – English and Spanish fluency REQUIRED
Salary/Benefits: Pay is commensurate with experience.
IIBA offers a generous cafeteria-style benefits package, elements of which include, but are not limited to:
- Employer matching 403(B) retirement plan: up to 4% employer contribution
- Insurance: Health, dental, life, vision, chiropractic & acupuncture. Medical and dependent care pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
- Vacation: two (2) weeks of accrued vacation per year with an increase each year.
- Holidays: 13 Holiday per year
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com
Please include the title of the job in the subject line.
Position open until filled.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.
IIBA is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons receiving services in our programs are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for qualified disabilities.