IIBA represents clients with U Visa and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) self-petitions, educates and screens for eligibility, and provides technical assistance to a national network of immigrant-serving organizations. The U Visa / VAWA law intern will assist with legal casework and ongoing office responsibilities.
- Assist with entire U-Visa and VAWA self-petition process as appropriate, including completion of Employment Authorization applications; Adjustment of Status applications, and consular processing packets–under the direction of a Staff Attorney or Accredited Representative. May include extensive client interviews and declarations
- Prepare immigration and citizenship forms for clients, using electronic immigration case management system
- Conduct eligibility screenings during weekly clinics
- Spanish-English written translations preferred, but not required
- Assist with client communications in person, on phone, and by mail
- Participate in general office responsibilities, including administrative tasks such as photocopying, preparation of application packets for submission and special projects (like community outreach)
- Must be a law student, law graduate or licensed attorney
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred, but not required
- Experience in filing U-Visa and VAWA petitions preferred, but not required
- Well organized, extremely accurate, attentive to detail, and reliable
- Good computer skills. Administrative experience preferred
- Experience interacting with clients in a professional and helpful manner
- Commitment to serve and compassion for issues faced by low-income immigrant community, particularly violent crime survivors
- Gain direct “hands on” client experience in well-respected immigration law office.
- Earn class credit, complete community service requirements (if applicable).
- Build your resume with practical experience. Great potential for recommendations.
- Give back to your community. Make a difference for families in need!
- Must be able to commit a minimum of 2 days a week (15 hours) for a minimum of three months
Please submit your resume and cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications to email@example.com.
If applicable, let us know which office you’re interested in volunteering with.
This is an unpaid volunteer position.