Removal Defense Staff Attorney
Removal Defense Staff Attorney
Title: Removal Defense Staff Attorney
Reports to: Program Director
The International Institute of the Bay Area was founded in 1918, and its mission is to welcome, educate and serve immigrants, refugees and their families as they join and contribute to the community. IIBA provides immigration legal services, English and civic education, and other services at its eight offices throughout the Bay Area, as well as through its collaborative efforts with local and regional service providers. IIBA offers a team-oriented, collegial and collaborative work environment.
This position supports IIBA’s mission by providing quality immigration-specific legal service, advice, and representation in support of low-income individuals in removal proceedings; supervising legal work of employees and/or volunteer workers at sites; representing IIBA at events and partner organizations; and maintaining high standards for legal protocols and record keeping.
- Case Management: Provide legal advice and counsel on immigration issues to low income individuals in removal proceedings. Represent clients in bond, master calendar and individual hearings in Immigration Court and, occasionally, before the Board of Immigration Appeals when filing appeals. When applicable to a removal case, represent clients in applications filed with USCIS, such as U Visas, I-130 and I-601A waiver petitions.
- Outreach and Group Processing: Responsible for workshops, clinics, outreach activities and information sessions on topics related to removal defense for immigrants. Outreach requires occasional evening and weekend events.
- Maintain Legal Best Practices: Comply with IIBA’s policies, procedures, protocols, and best practices for non-profit immigration law practice, including legal ramifications, maintenance of client files and data for reporting requirements. Participate in regular peer review meetings and legal trainings.
- Ensure grant compliance: Ensure grant requirements are met. Track case progress and outcomes.
- Supervise Legal Work: Train and help supervise legal interns and other volunteers.
- Community Leadership: Participate in meetings on behalf of IIBA and its partner organizations and collaborators. Collaborate with nonprofit legal and community-based partners.
- All other duties: Perform all other duties as needed and/or as directed by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Education & Certification:D. from ABA certified law school or international equivalent. A current Bar Membership in good standing.
- Work Experience: Minimum of 3 years* of experience in immigration law, specifically representing clients in removal proceedings. (Would consider a candidate with 2 years of experience if they can demonstrate sufficient knowledge in removal work and research).
- Ability to act independently and to identify and access resources to assist in preparing cases.
- Ability to handle a high volume of removal defense cases.
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding public speaking skills in English and Spanish.
- Advanced legal research and writing skills.
- Dedicated to providing high quality legal assistance and capable of handling complex legal issues on behalf of low-income immigrant populations.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Exceptional time management skills – ability to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to serving immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of the low-income, culturally diverse newcomer community.
- Familiarity with the region and knowledge of local resources, public systems, and area philanthropy preferred.
- Proficiency in a Windows/PC environment, and able to quickly become proficient in the use of IIBA’s immigration law software and database.
- Bi- Lingual – English and Spanish fluency REQUIRED
Salary/Benefits: Pay is commensurate with experience.
IIBA offers a generous cafeteria-style benefits package, elements of which include, but are not limited to:
- Employer matching 403(B) retirement plan: up to 4% employer contribution
- Insurance: Health, dental, life, vision, chiropractic & acupuncture. Medical and dependent care pre-tax reimbursement accounts.
- Transportation reimbursement account.
- Vacation: two (2) weeks of accrued vacation per year with an increase each year.
- Holidays: 13 Holiday per year
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com
Please include the title of the job in the subject line.
Position open until filled.
IIBA is a non-profit, non-discriminatory service organization and employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability. Persons receiving services in our programs are entitled to freedom from harassment and retaliation and reasonable accommodation for qualified disabilities.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant. Because of a need to remain responsive to the needs of our clients and our Agency’s operations, responsibilities may be modified at any time.